Saturday 22 June 2019

National Indigenous People's Day

It was lovely celebrating National Indigenous People's Day at Trout Lake. Upon my arrival I found everyone to be in good spirits and participating fully in everything the event had to offer. People were dancing to the live music put on by a number of different artists which helped set the lighthearted tone of the event. There was also delicious food provided by the Mr. Bannock food truck which I thoroughly enjoyed and considered going back for seconds.
The Bannock was a hit!


Next, I wandered over to the vendors where I was captivated by all the amazing hand-made goods that were for sale such as soaps and beadwork, many by local Indigenous artisans and artists. I couldn't resist and I bought myself some delicious smelling soap at one of the booths. Afterwards, I proceeded to walk around a chat with some folks who were also enjoying the day.



Opportunities for learning could also be found amid all of the sights and sounds of the event. There was a knowledge tent set up where one was able to converse with many of the local elders and learn some local Indigenous language which I thought was very powerful. One of the most interesting aspects of the event was the Takaya Tours where one could ride in Tsleil-Waututh Nation canoe. 

My day was finished off by a relaxing moment just laying in the sun and appreciating the day's offerings.






Tsleil-Waututh Nation canoe

No comments:

Post a Comment