We are excited to announce that we are accepting applications for the following work study position (10 hrs/week):
Volunteer and Production Coordinator for The Orchard Garden (TOG)
If you meet the following qualifications, please send a cover letter detailing your interest and experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org
no later than Fri. August 31, 2012!
This position is responsible for market garden production at TOG with a focus on engaging volunteers to help accomplish garden goals. S/he works closely with the Marketing and Production Coordinator and other members of the TOG team to accomplish these goals.
- Work with the Marketing and Production Coordinator to determine production goals and develop strategies to accomplish them
- Recruit student volunteers early in the fall term and coordinate regular volunteer sessions to accomplish garden tasks
- Participate with the larger Orchard Garden team by helping set the organization’s agenda and goals for the coming months and reporting on status of previously identified goals
- Facilitate hands-on learning experiences for volunteers - that connect with course material in LFS programs
- Manage the Volunteer Coordinator e-mail account (email@example.com)
- Facilitate a transition and training period for the next Volunteer and Production Coordinator
- 2nd or 3rd year (ideal) undergraduate student who is passionate about food, community, and learning
- Excellent leadership skills
- Self-directed, flexible, and has a willingness to learn
- Some previous experience growing food is an asset but not required
Student Learning Components
- Development of professional communication skills
- Development of task management skills
- Development of volunteer management skills
- Networking with the wider student, staff, and faculty community through events and meetings.
- Experience in community-engaged decision making at UBC