Monday 27 August 2012

a sweet farewell...

This is my farewell post... and so I gift you with a photograph of my favourite new discovery in The Orchard Garden:  Green Gauge Plums.  Perfumey, golden flesh in a tight skin with a dusky bloom easily rubbed off on jeans.  These little fruits make my heart sing.
As I prepare for my new position teaching food and gardening to elementary students in Portland, OR, I'd like to reflect on the huge learning experience of working in The Orchard Garden for the previous year and a half.
And so, here are a few of my favourite photos (new and old) that will continue to inspire me and guide me in my new teaching position.


The first cabbage of the season, endless zucchini, Natasha's work shirt, and ripening apples on the scabby tree on the western perimeter of the garden... 




 Volunteer work parties, community celebrations, workshops, harvests, and experiments- this place invites trying things, new ideas, and coming together...










The garden's small and exquisite beauties are borne of hard work and a love and partnership with the plants, insects, soil, rain, snow, and sun that dwell here...









 Thank you for indulging my love of photography, for making a space for me to learn and to feel connected to something important.  Cheers to many more years of students stepping outside and paying close attention...
- Djamila

No comments:

Post a Comment