Tuesday 7 May 2019

May 7th

After our meeting yesterday to discuss our activity for the Saturday workshop, Evelyn, Rob, and I spent today researching various aspects of the UBC Orchard Garden’s history. In addition to delving into the garden’s rich history, we also spent time today looking into cheap materials for our activity at the workshop. I’ve also been trying out a few of the recipes we decided on for the workshop, and I can say that they will be absolutely delicious!

This research has helped me realize that there is a significant amount of history to be found in any garden, or any aspect of our lives that we usually ignore. For instance, there are personal garden’s in almost every one of the homes located on my residential street, and each owner has put large amounts of time and effort into their maintenance. Additionally, the residents of my neighborhood have set up telescopes centered on an eagle nest in a nearby clump of trees. They let passerby peer through the lens, observing bald eagles sitting still in their nests. This research has helped me recognize that there are opportunities to learn about our local history all around us, and taking the time to do so may allow us to develop a better understanding of those around us.


No comments:

Post a Comment