Thursday 21 June 2018

National Indigenous Peoples Day-Trout Lake

I arrived at the celebration for National Indigenous Peoples Day at Trout Lake Park with an empty stomach. My goal was to try some Gourmet Bannock from one of the many food trucks that were on site. To my dismay, the lineup for this traditional delicacy was enormous! It took about 25 minutes for me to finally reach the front, but I think the wait was worth it. With my belly (somewhat) full, I set out to enjoy the festivities. There was a stage set-up for live music and people seemed to be enjoying themselves. I also took some time to peruse the many booths that were selling their wares. It was great to see a blend of both traditional and contemporary items like paintings, jewelry, clothing and medicine.


Despite the reminders that we live, work, and play on unceded Coast Salish Territory (Musqueam, Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh in Vancouver) I am guilty of not always recognizing the many cultures and ways of life that are celebrated in the city of Vancouver, and more broadly, Canada. I think this ignorance is representative of the need for cultural events such as this to be recognized and celebrated in the community. It was great to see First Nations and Settler peoples alike celebrating together in harmony. With this being said, however, I couldn’t help but notice that the VPD and Canadian Forces were recruiting at the event. I found it a bit odd to see these booths at such an event, especially given the sensitive and troubled relationship each has had with Indigenous populations nationwide. While the event was overwhelmingly positive, a small but vocal protest toward the two was a powerful reminder that there is still much work to be done when considering reconciliation and restitution of historical injustices. 
 
Overall, the event was very educational and I feel like I learned a lot. I think it will be important to take advantage of these celebrations (potential field trip opportunities?) and to encourage students to be hopeful and to celebrate when looking to the future, while at the same time being mindful of the past.





No comments:

Post a Comment