Monday 30 May 2022

Workshop planning - Day 1

 Hello all,

     As Amy noted, today was spent in the brainstorming phase of planning for our Saturday workshop. My post this week will contain 3 different discussions:

1.      A “CFE Dictionary” that I put together along with help from Susan and some others on the CFE team

2.      An update on what my role has been in the planning of our workshop

3.      A brief note about the garden I visited on my break this afternoon.

Firstly, the CFE Dictionary. Over the course of this CFE we have had the chance to learn so much about gardening. I have been collecting a list of terminologies that were new to many of us as an example of learning that takes place in a garden:

CFE Dictionary

 

·        Adventitious Root: A root that forms adventitiously, outside of the typical root base of the plant [Chris wanted us to plant the tomato stems deep in the ground so that adventitious roots would grow in the soil]

 

·        Allium: A genus of flowering plants which includes chives, garlic, onion, and leeks. [With the chives on one side and the garlic on the other, it was tough to label the alliums because they were not in one place]

 

·        Annual: A plant that completes its life cycle within a growing season then dies [Most sunflowers are annual plants]

 

·        Crown: The base of the plant, where the stem meets the roots [We were instructed to prune the bush all the way down to the crown]

 

·        Dye Plant: A plant used for making dyes. [The newest bed in the Orchard garden will contain dye plants]

 

·        Perennial: Plants that regrow each year during a particular season. [The lemon balm in the garden is a perennial]

 

·        Skein: A length of loosely coiled and knotted material [Susan taught us to wrap our blackberry bark into skeins]

 

·        Trowel: A small handheld gardening scoop for lifting plants and dirt. [The trowel was used to add compost to the small hole where the tomato vine would be planted]

 

Secondly, a few words about what I am contributing to the Saturday workshop. I am involved with the team who is making clay guardians to place in the garden and allow to breakdown and deliver nutrients to the soil. Jesse et al. will be dealing with the artistic elements of this, and my skill set makes me well equipped to explain some scientific concepts related to the breakdown of the clay guardians and the reintegration of the clay’s nutrients back into the soil. A summary of the broad areas I have been notetaking on thus far:

v  Breakdown of the clay guardian involves two geological processes:

o   Weathering: the process of wearing or being worn by long exposure to the atmosphere

o   Erosion: the process of eroding or being eroded by wind, water, or other natural agents

v  Potential nutrients contained in clays:

o   Depending on the clay may contain high levels of calcium, iron, copper and magnesium

v  How does soil rich in clay help plants grow?

o   High exchange of Cations (positive ions)

o   Better at holding onto:

§  Nutrients

§  Fertilizer

§  Pesticides

I think these are some interesting discussion prompts/ideas that could help teachers to see the connection between the activity (largely visual arts) and the Science. This is one example of how gardens support STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) integrated classrooms.

Finally, even though I was pleased we decided to have an online workday I do admit that I missed the garden. For this reason, I went on a hunt for some interesting gardens in my community and I stumbled on this exhibit at Central Park near my home in Burnaby, BC. Enjoy the pics!








Signing off for now,

     Gio.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment