Monday 23 May 2022

Welcome to Week 2!

Weeds.

One of the biggest changes I've noticed since starting this CFE is how keenly aware of weeds I am now. I walk everywhere, and usually tend to observe some really beautiful plants and gardens in my area. Lately, though, I can't help but notice all the weeds too! I guess that's what a week of weeding will train your brain to do. 
Since I'm observing them so often, I thought I would post a little about two of the common weeds I keep noticing in my area. After all, weeds are only plants that are growing where they are not wanted.


Dandelion
- Was brought over here (North America) by European colonists because it was used for medicinal purposes, and they wanted to make sure they had access to that medicine as settlers
(well great job, because now it's everywhere and an invasive weed)

- Back in that time, however, it was a beloved European garden flower (not weed) with many poems written about it

- Dandelion medicinal purposes date back to Ancient Egypt, and Ancient China as well! Tonics were used for treating poisons, and they also were super helpful in the treatment for scurvy (which used to be crazy deadly before we could just take vitamin supplements!)
Dandelions contain vitamins A, C, iron, calcium, and potassium.

- You can absolutely make a salad from it's leaves! I tried it during the lockdown. It was somewhat bitter, sort of like how arugula is somewhat spicy? Not bad.

- You can make dandelion "coffee" as well. I bought some at a hippie cafe once on the island. As a coffee enthusiast, I suggest not thinking about it as a coffee or your taste buds will frown. It was very earthy. Only after a while did I acquire the taste. I did appreciate the coffee-like viscosity of the drink, though. 



Scotch Thistle
- Another invasive plant/weed, but this one is actually the national plant of Scotland!

- Legend has it that the Scotch Thistle protected Scottish Clansmen from a Viking attack: running barefoot on the spiky thistles, the Vikings cried out which warned the Scots of their approaching attack. Hence, Scotland's national plant. 

- Nonetheless it is still a spiky, deep rooted, invasive plant that I have the most issues with uprooting in the UBC garden! Their roots go so deep, it's difficult to pull it all out at once. And did you know the seeds can remain viable in soil for 39 years?? That's insane. 

- A quick search on WebMD tells me that while people have used Scotch Thistle for medicinal purposes, there is no scientific study for this. It also reminds to be careful not to mistake the Scotch Thistle for Milk Thistle, which actually does have medicinal uses. 

- We won't mix these two up, though, because here in BC there's only one type of thistle that grows naturally. (link)


 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 


So there you have it. The more I learn about weeds, the less I think we should call them that.

They're just unplanned, highly ambitious plants :) 

---Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment